As a LONG SERVING official's association for the sport of gymnastics, the Minnesota Gymnastics Judges Association (MGJA), has pioneered, implemented and administered many of the policies and operational procedures that the Minnesota State High School League has come to expect from its registered officials.
For over 50 YEARSthe MGJA set procedures for cataloging, organizing and pairing the association's judges to scheduled high school gymnastics meets and tournaments.This also included end of season state sectional and regional tournaments.In the late 1970's, the MGJA laid groundwork for established protocol in communication and negotiations with state athletic conferences, schools, athletic directors, coaches, and meet organizers for the smooth scheduling, organization and officiating of gymnastic competition.Through the practice of 'open scoring' the MGJA brought an atmosphere of proficient efficiency to high school gymnastic meets.
We BELIEVE the open communication techniques we have utilized over the years, has become one of the major factors that has created an enhanced atmosphere for good sportsmanship.We are mindful that the meets belong to the kids.Our willingness to communicate and expertly answer questions produces a positive educational experience for all.We strive to make this evident at all of our meets and tournaments.We believe this practice promotes sportsmanship throughout the sport.
In the mid 1980's, the MGJA partnered with the Minnesota Amateur Gymnastics Association (MAGA), to help promote and grow gymnastics at the local club level for athletes 6 years and older.Through hard work and organized planning, the MAGA/MGJA partnership has grown to over 50 clubs and hundreds of tournaments in Minnesota and Wisconsin.It has become arguably the largest feeder program of young athletes to high school gymnastics.This has been especially evident in the last 10 years as we see the scoring gap between Class A and Class AA decrease.
The MGJA has become an ENVIABLE MODEL for supplying and developing excellent officials to the sport of gymnastics.The association credits itself with one of the most diverse and talented memberships of women and men officials.It counts among its members, former athletes, coaches and administrators from all levels of gymnastics.The Association takes pride in noting that over 20% of its judges are hall of fame members from their college, judging, and coaching ranks.More than 35% of our judges have been college level gymnasts and over 50% have coaching experience.In total, over 85% of our membership has an advanced and masterful understanding of what competitive gymnastics is all about.